Shuffle Studio Glass

Shuffle Studio Glass

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Staying afloat in the sea of technology.

I will never deny that I love technology. I love computers, and have since my dad brought home a Tandy 2000. I loved thumbing through the giant plate sized floppy discs while he waded through DOS  manuals and pursued what I know would have been a long and fruitful love affair with the personal computer. Unfortunately my dad passed away before personal computing really hit it's stride and became a part of daily life and functionality. I regret that he isn't here to see the techno marvel in my pocket (Droid X) that has infinitely more abilities than the trusty machine I typed out 4th grade reports and played "Sticky Bear Math" on back in the day.

This isn't really a dear departed daddy blog, but I wanted to explain the foundation for the deep and abiding love I have for computers, the internet, and phone technology. Its not quite like magic to me - it feels more like some of the "future" I looked forward to as a kid. If I can't have a flying car by 2011 dammit, then my phone better be able to do my typing for me (It does :)

With every wonderful glowing apparatus however comes a little more pressure to stay connected, updated, Tweeted, Faced, Statused, and otherwise be reporting every moment of your day; and it is a little hard to adjust to. I think the best thing for me is going to be to wean myself off the internet at least for certain portions of the day. I often find myself lost in a sea of applications and social networks all the while having lost 3 hours of work time. I do not need to look at cute kitties and laughing babies to the detriment of my art production :)

It is going to be a struggle now that I have the interweb in my pocket and can look up every fact in question and get a little buzz every time one of my contacts twitches; but I think it will be ok.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment